Tuesday, September 12, 2006

menopause symptom : Getting relief from menopause symptoms

Hot flashes, night sweats, these are just some of the symptoms of menopause. So what can women do to get relief? I talked with a leading expert about what works.

by News Channel 8's Jocelyn Maminta
When Yael Borofsky entered into another stage of her life six years ago frustration set in.

"The worst symptoms for me are the hot flashes."

And Yael is still going through menopause.

"All of a sudden something goes over you, the next thing, water runs down your body."

Dr. Mary Jane Minkin says, "A lot of people say, gee, well I've gone more than a year without my period, which is the technical definition of menopause, why am I still getting hot flashes unfortunately they can persist for a while."

Dr. Mary Jane Minkin at Yale School of Medicine is a leading expert and author of several books on menopause. Dr. Minkin says when it comes to seeking relief, treatment should be based on each patient's needs.

"For example, if a woman has been on hormone replacement therapy for a year or two and she's feeling terrifically, she may want to say, okay, can I cut down my dose and see how I feel and you know taper off, and see how she does." says Dr. Minkin.

Hormone replacement therapy comes in different forms -- in pills, patches and creams, and despite recent controversial studies Dr. Minkin says they are safe to use.

"The one thing that women really need to realize is that short term therapy is quite safe."

But what about natural remedies such as black cohosh?

"We don't know it's exact mechanism of action because it's not estrogen, but it does seem to help women with hot flashes."

It helped Yael Borofsky with her hot flashes.

"It has reduced the hot flashes tremendously and I can live with it. If I can continue living this way I will be very happy."

Dr. Minkin tells me 20 percent of women do not experience hot flashes at all. However, for another 20 percent of women it will be severe. The rest fall somewhere in between.

by News Channel 8's Jocelyn Maminta

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home